Yesterday, my Aunt Linda passed away after nearly 2 years of fighting cancer. Though she is finally at peace after some grueling times, my heart is still heavy for her family and for me. Linda was not only my aunt, but my friend.
Linda welcomed me to live with her and Mary twice. First, I lived with them when I was a crazed grad student trying to graduate a semester early and plan a wedding. The second time was when I was a crazed pregnant lady working in DC every other week. I will always be grateful for the roof over my head, the yummy meals, the sparkling conversation, and the tolerance of my late nights, early mornings, pregnancy hormones, and other oddities I brought with me to their home.
I will always be grateful to Linda, too, for teaching me to how to be an officer's spouse. As Linda followed Mary's many assignments, she saw the dos and don'ts of other officers' spouses and passed on that wisdom. I hear Linda in my head every time politics, religion, or money comes up at Jip's functions, reminding me to stay out of it and keep everyone guessing about my stance. Linda is who taught me how to appropriately tip the baggers at the commissary. I watched and learned as Linda prepped for each move, preparing not only her home, but herself by making contacts at the new location and solidifying the old ones, as you never know when you'll be back! Linda was a model for "semper Gumby"--always flexible. Linda put herself through college and grad school and found a career that meshed pretty well with the military lifestyle--I have yet to do the latter. And, Linda always understood when the military prevented us from being somewhere we really wanted to be at the time we needed to be.
Linda also taught me a lot about the domestic arts. She taught me the lost art of hanging wallpaper--using real paste!! I have several meals in my repertoire that I learned from her just by watching. I will cherish my handwritten recipe cards for Lilian's Dunker Rusks and the family goulash.
I am so sorry for your loss, Linda sounds like an amazing woman!
ReplyDelete