We enjoyed dropping by the home of the Pienkowskis to celebrate their son Ben becoming an Eagle Scout. I had a good time making him a little card to go with his gift card.
Jip had been just a little bit hopeful all week that GW would make it back to port on Saturday. I didn't dare tell the kids though--just in case it didn't work out. But, Saturday morning I got the message they were heading our way and would be passing by the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel shortly after lunch. So, I hurried the kids out the door and we headed out on a very windy, gray day to the little restaurant that sits on top of the first tunnel entrance. I enjoyed my crab cake sandwich. I did not enjoy paying $2.50 for RJ to eat a hot dog bun (he didn't want the hot dog), but so it goes with that kid.
We wrapped up lunch, but the ship wasn't in sight yet, so we went to sit in the car for a little bit. After about a half hour, we headed back into the restaurant. Shortly after we went in, people started buzzing about a carrier coming. Yay! So, we ran across the top of the tunnel into a viewing area and snapped a few shots.
Then we ran back into the restaurant to wait a few minutes more. After talking with a family getting ready to send their new Marine on a deployment to the Republic of Georgia (he was full of excitement, his mom and girlfriend were full of dread), we went back out to brave the wind.
We were all very cold after standing in that wind for a few minutes. We ran back to the car, and the kids jumped in. I got a couple more aft shots.
We headed home and went to the party at the Pienkowskis' home before picking up Jip. Jip is one of the last people off the ship due to his job, so there is no reason to be sitting at the pier. We picked Jip up that evening, ran to a McDs so he could change his clothes and we could grab a bite to eat, and then it was off to the symphony! Yay! Jip made it home for the symphony!
We only stayed for the first "Act." We got to hear a lot of familiar tunes while watching the old cartoons on a big screen, including the best ever Rabbit of Seville. The first act didn't end until 9:30. The kids were tired. RJ was having a hard time not kicking the seat in front of him. So, it was time to go. We found that a lot of other people with kids the same age had the same idea. Or, maybe they alos didn't care to see the "What's Opera Doc?" with all of the Wagner opera pieces sung by Elmer and Bugs? I was not sad to miss that piece in the second act.
Sunday was spent catching up on laundry, running to the storage unit to get Easter stuff and a Lego set, and binge watching Glee and Top Chef. I know Jip was glad to be home and the kids (and I) were glad to have him home.
This week is a shorter week, as there is no school on Friday. The weather is supposed to improve again, so I'm sure more bike riding and outdoor play will be in the mix. As always, pics to come.
Until next time, cheers!






No comments