The Hurricane That Wasn't (For Us)

Florence is still doing damage to our neighbors to the south, but luckily we escaped with barely any rain and scant amounts of wind. 

We didn't have school Tuesday through Friday because the Governor issued a mandatory evacuation for Zone A, which encompasses a good deal of Hampton Roads, including some schools.  So, if some kids and teachers have to be gone, they all do.  When we knew for sure the storm was going to be well south of us and evacuations weren't going to be issued for Zone B, we cancelled our hotel room.

The kids did their best to drive me crazy.  Thankfully, we still had gymnastics on Tuesday (but not Thursday), hip hop on Tuesday, and Ninja Zone on Sunday.  The kids helped me run provisions to Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society to support all of the volunteers who helped issue emergency loans for people who needed the funds to evacuate.  They issued 400 loans in 8 hours.  Amazing!  Jip had Friday off, but still had to be on the phone for a good part of the day.  The kids got lots of time building a Minecraft world during the week with one of our neighbors down the street.  We got out Saturday and burned some energy at Funville (kids) and Michael's (me).

A few people in our area experienced flooding today (Monday) thanks to saturated ground, high tide, and the moon.  Some streets in southern Virginia Beach are impassable.  But, it should subside pretty quickly.

Everyone returned to their normal schedules today.  While I was at NMCRS, I asked if I could take our hurricane kit back to the storage area.  I was told "no" since there are a couple more named storms churning in the Atlantic.  So, I guess I won't break into our bottled water for a few more weeks and save it just in case.

This week should be somewhat normal.  At least I hope it is.  And, maybe I'll manage to take some pictures this week!

Until next week, cheers!

No comments