RJ had another first day of preschool today. He moved from the two-day-per-week program to the three-day program with all of the other 4-year-olds in his previous class as well as new kids who were in in the afternoon class last year or who were on a waiting list for preschool. At first, to RJ, it was just another day of preschool. He couldn't figure out why I was fussing a bit about taking a picture and looking sharp. But, once we arrived and RJ saw the new faces and didn't see some of the old ones, I think it sunk in that he was taking a big step today.
We only get to do the three-day program for four weeks, as then it will be time to move to San Diego. I'm already shopping around for preschools in SD, and I'm overwhelmed by the choices available as I read up on all of them. But, I'm learning that my gut was right about RJ going to preschool on base--the program is on par or above par with the big city schools, and RJ should be able to jump right in wherever we end up choosing. I'm super grateful RJ had a full year plus a few weeks with his awesome teachers and some great friends.

Nice that he'll be able to make the transition to 3 days/week in a familiar setting. Maybe it'll make starting one in SD a little easier.
ReplyDeleteIn addition to teaching techniques I'd be sure to look discipline techniques in the preschool. I found that a lot of places use "redirection" for kids instead of consequences. We thought it was important for little ones (our own or others) to get actual consequences (time out or talking to) for behaviors such as biting, kicking, hitting, etc. not just be redirected to another activity. Good luck finding the right place for him in SD!