About the only news that is worthy of being news is I had some dedicated time with one of my "mentors" today. I have two mentors listed formally--one Captain and one Captain(select).
I'm not sure if any of the other officer communities have quite the same structured mentoring system that we have, but the EDO community is big on mentoring so we each have a senior officer or two that we meet with at least once per year and discuss our current jobs, our future jobs, our career aspirations, and then any recommendations that he/she might have. I belong to two different mentor groups, hence the two mentors. First, I'm a member of the Aircraft Carrier Life Cycle Maintenance/Mentor Group (LCMG) and second, I'm a member of the Industrial Maintenance/Mentor Group (IMG). The prior mainly concerns itself with all things aircraft carrier and the latter concerns itself with things related to the shipyards. I met with the senior of the two mentors today while he was in town for some meetings concerning the USS George Washington maintenance availability. We talked about how my job is here for a few minutes, but mostly we talked about what my next job should be. There are plenty of good jobs that would fit well with my career, but based on timing (meaning, when I can leave here and when an incumbent is ready to leave a position), I might not have a large number of options. I won't really know more until later this summer, so we'll just have to wait and see.
Amy and the kiddos got to go to the playground for a little while today, but unfortunately Amy had to sit and talk to a nut-job woman. Despite having to listen to her ramble about making her own moccasins out of rabbit skins, Amy captured a couple cute photos of Ryleigh hanging out while RJ played with other kids.
Tonight after I got home, RJ showed me his fire station that he and Mom built. It was pretty nifty--of course, Mom might have done most of the Engineering, but RJ fully supported the project!
At this point, RJ took the camera. The next few are a sampling of what he took. Some are kind of artsy and some are...well, up close.
-Jip

Hopefully the perfect job is available at the time you need it to be! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
ReplyDeleteRabbit skin mockisins, seriously?!?! Amy is a more patient woman than I for listening to that crazy lady =)