Trip to D2

So it was a rainy Saturday here in Yoko. I actually had to work all day today. My CO has decided that he wants some senior level coverage on Saturdays so that means that one of three of us must be there. Today was my day. I thought that I'd have plenty of time to knock out a ton of paperwork that I've been delinquent on. Nope. I was busy as a bee all day and only got done about half of what I wanted to get done.

So I didn't sit down to write about work. I got home around 4:00 p.m. and was greeted by RJ at the door. His first words were, "It broke!". He subsequently showed me his take apart airplane and the piece with front wheels had broken again. A few weeks ago I fixed it by gluing it back together with some Gorilla Glue. This time, it was not easily glued again. The engineer in me kicked in and I envisioned a new fix with wood dowel, some glue, a flat washer, and a wood screw. Of course I don't have those things sitting around the house so we decided to make a trip to D2. D2 is a hardware store/Container Store/Target-like place where at least some signs are in English and the employees are always friendly. It's located along the route we used to take to get to the house in Kurihama where we lived about a year ago. About $6 later, I had the necessary repair parts. Later on, after hot dogs for dinner and the kiddos had knocked off for the evening, I pulled out a few hand tools and fixed the plane again. We'll see how long this repair lasts in the rough and tumble world of RJ. It's nice to repair things with my hands, though. Fixing things at work doesn't use the same tools and is rarely as satisfying as fixing my son's toys! Maybe I'm in the wrong profession?

Other than that, our day was pretty low key. We're headed to a baseball game tomorrow between the Seattle Mariners and the Hanshin Tigers. It's sure to an experience and we'll share our observances with you tomorrow night.

To close out the evening, I'll share a few kiddo pictures I snapped this evening just for the heck of it. Here's Ryleigh showing us just how much fun she has bouncing in the jumper!
RJ and Oreos never make a great pair (note the crumbs and half cookie remaining), but tonight he leaned across his plate of food and ended up smearing ketchup all over the front of his shirt--hence the shirtless little boy. By the way, he's a twist-apart-and-lick-the-middle type of Oreo eater :)
I hope you get to fix something soon as well!
-Jip

1 comment

  1. Maybe you'll be a toy repair man after the Navy ;-) Ryleigh's face is priceless, jumpers are the bet. I agree with RJ - twist and lick is the only way to eat an oreo!

    ReplyDelete