Grumpy Gus

Today was RJ's day to be grumpy and a real pain in the rear.  He and I got up this morning a little after 6 a.m. because he was insisting that we go downstairs and was refusing to try to sleep just a little longer like Amy and I desperately wanted to do.  Once downstairs, he was full volume, full energy for a while which did not let Amy and Ryleigh sleep much longer.  It "had to be" french toast for breakfast...and then he ate about two bites.

By the time we finished breakfast, I could tell that it was going to be grand ol' time dealing with a day of the terrible twos.  RJ and Ryleigh joined me for a run and within about a minute, he was crying that Ryleigh was touching him and that I needed to make her stop.  Of course, a few minutes later he fell asleep and made it all the way home without waking up.  Ryleigh enjoyed the peace and quiet, I think, but had to put up with him slowly sliding over to her side of the jogging stroller.

The day continued to shine after he ate almost nothing for lunch, refused to take a nap upstairs when I tried to put him down (he did fall asleep downstairs on the couch while I went up to take a shower), lost all his composure when I made him go try to use the restroom before we left to visit a playground, ate even less for dinner, and then kept sitting up in bed while I was trying to get him down for the night.

Ugh!  I hope that tomorrow is a new day and a new RJ.  I have to remind myself that it's just part of growing up, but, as I've mentioned before, I wish that I could reason with him like an adult sometimes.  He's such a good kid most of the time, but occasionally days like today sneak into our lives and oh boy, are they ever fun.

Doesn't mean I love him any less, though!  Even as frustrating as today was at times, I would not have traded it for anything else in the world.

-Jip

No comments