Swimming (Almost)

Today was RJ's first swimming lesson without Mom in the pool.  It wasn't a huge failure--tears were shed for only 3-4 minutes.  Still, it wasn't a huge success, either, as RJ kept sneaking out and coming to find me on the other side of the pool.  But, I would just talk to him and walk him back over and put him right back in.  About midway into the 40 minute lesson, the Assistant Director of Aquatics came over to chat with me.  I steeled myself.  I was sure she was going to tell me that I needed to move RJ back to parent and child lessons.  She asked whether RJ was familiar with being in the pool.  When I told her that we had done parent and child lessons 6 different sessions, she seemed to be more at ease.  She recognized that it had nothing to do with fear of water, but it was fear of not being with mama-san.  So, she just told me to keep on keeping on.  If RJ gets out, put him back in, or at least put him back on the edge of the pool so he is with his class.  I'm hopeful that in a couple more days, RJ won't want to get out of the pool for anything.  I think his friend Jack and his new friend Victoria (we met her on the playground a few weeks ago--she's 5, but barely bigger than RJ and was very interested in playing the I-Spy type games I was having him play--and it turns out she is in RJ's class) will also motivate him to stay in the pool and do some skills.  It's sometimes hard for me to remember that he isn't even 3 yet.  RJ hangs with slightly older kids fairly well (most of the time) and definitely enjoys being with the older kids, so when he doesn't quite grasp something as quickly as the older kids do, I start fretting.  Then, oh yeah, I remember--the other kids have a year or two on him.  It will all come in good time.

Here are a few shots of the good moments from today, when I actually had a few seconds between escorting RJ back to the pool to shoot some pics.

Mr. Blue Whale and RJ - this was about 10 minutes in.  RJ is preparing his escape.

Mr. Blue Whale, RJ, and Jack.  All of this year's swim camp counselors are named after oceanic organisms (last year they were all named after drinks--we had Miss Lemonade, Mr. Sierra, and Miss Sunny D).  The other instructor for this year's class is Ms. Coral.

Mr. Blue Whale is very patient with RJ, Victoria, and Jack.  If Mr. Blue Whale were a chia pet, he would have needed a haircut by the end of the class as much as the kids watered his head.
Tonight, when Jip asked RJ if he was good in swimming lessons, he said, "no."  I was surprised.  I never said he wasn't good--I actually thought he did pretty well for his first day and said so.  But, RJ told Jip, "I kept getting out of the pool to find Mom.  Then she put me back in."  Jip asked him if he was going to do better tomorrow, and RJ answered with an enthusiastic, "yes!"  I'm sure he will. 

2 comments

  1. From the pictures it looks like he really did pretty well. I would expect that he would come search for you in this unfamiliar situation. Happy it wasn't a huge flop and hope the next time is even better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forty minutes is nice... makes it more worth all the effort. Kinda long for not yet three year olds though. I'm sure he'll get the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete