Getting into the Spirit

This was the week that the Christmas Spirit kicked into full gear.  The kids and I had a successful shopping trip for a couple kids for the Salvation Army's Angel Tree as well as for blankets for a local homeless shelter.  The kids enjoyed picking out clothes for kids as well as throwing in a little stuffed animal.  Ryleigh helped me drop off the blankets just before the cold really kicked in here.  I know they don't fully understand the impact of what we did, but I trust that they will remember doing it and will want to repeat it every year.

Friday night we went to what I would consider a last-minute birthday party--we received the invitation on Thursday.  But, after arriving and seeing all of the other guests, I realized that the birthday boy, who RJ really enjoys being around, must have begged and badgered his mom to invite RJ.  RJ and Ryleigh were the only blonde children in a sea of about 25 Indian children.  Both kiddos jumped right in there, though, and had a blast.  I was so grateful they waited until we got home to ask me about the bindi dots they all wore on their foreheads.  :)

RJ felt a bit under the weather on Saturday, so he napped while I made lots of cookies.



He was rejuvenated, though, for a cookie exchange next door.  Ryleigh and RJ played hard, decorated cookies, got photobombed by the teenager, and just enjoyed.




Sunday was the usual Ninja Zone in the morning.  In the afternoon, we went to the Virginia Symphony's kids' concert.  The kids decorated Christmas trees before the concert and then we enjoyed some lovely music and a sing-a-long.  Ryleigh fell asleep and missed two songs that included dancers from a local dance troupe.  She was so sad when she realized she missed them.  I need to take her to a professional dance production some time!




After the symphony and taking 40 minutes to get out of the parking garage (thank you Apple for keeping my kids entertained!!), we grabbed an early dinner.  Then we headed to the beach for beach lights.  It's pretty nifty--they have light displays set up in the sand as well as on the hotel side of the boardwalk, and we actually got to drive on the boardwalk.  It took nearly an hour, but the kids loved it.  We'll do it again when Jip gets back.





And my favorite was one of the displays from the 12 Days of Christmas.  Four calling birds.  Get it?  Four birds and a phone?  Ha ha ha!


This week includes Ryleigh's Christmas performance at school, dentist appointments, walking through our house in Carrollton with our vacating tenant, an ornament exchange with other GW spouses, and Breakfast with Santa.  And, maybe Jip will get home!  Yay!  As always, pics to come.  Until next time, cheers!

No comments