Jip and I both experienced a more and more rare childhood phenomenon--living in the same house until it was time to go to college. Our parents settled down in one place and gave us stability and comfort.
But, the time has come for my parents to move on from the wonderful life they gave me and my siblings, and "move" is the operative word. My parents are slowly packing up the house to move to their retirement home in Fort Collins. I get emails from my Mom every few days asking if I want this or that. Some of my childhood items are showing up in the mail (my old "quiet books" were a great surprise!!). Some items are finding new life with my nieces. And, some items will go in the dumpster or to someone who can surely use them more than me.
It's a little bit surreal. I wouldn't say it is hard, but it is weird. When we were in the States in April, we went to Stratton because we knew that could be the last time we go there. My Dad officially retired from farming, although I think he still sneaks out there once in awhile! My Mom still works in Stratton, but she travels so much and can do so much by telecommuting, that there isn't a reason to have a home base in the old hometown anymore. So, I wanted to say goodbye in my own way. I took in all I could of the sights (where Amber and I broke the towel bar in our bathroom because we were using it as a handrail to climb up onto the tub so we could see more of ourselves in the mirror) and smells (my room still smells of the same potpourri as was there in college). Jip and I laid in bed one night and chuckled about never seeing the red menace glowing through my windows at night during the holidays (my family outlined our house in red lights and it had an eerie glow, much like the Kenny Rogers Roasters sign on Seinfeld). I'll have fond memories of the house I grew up in--it was perfect for us then and it was perfect as our family grew with the addition of sons-in-law, daughter-in-law, and grandkids.
I also said goodbye to the farm. Even though my Dad and Uncle still own the farmland, it will never be the same farm. So, I wanted to take a few pictures. I was trying to be artsy. I'm not sure I succeeded, though they do look better when I put them into sepia coloring.
Although the Stratton chapter is closing for my family, I think all of us--my parents, my siblings and me, and our families--are looking forward to the next chapter for the Downey Family. I can't wait to make some new memories in the new place!

No comments