How Did RJ Get So Cute?

I wish I had something more to report than potty training, but that is my life right now. So, if you don't want more potty stories, you might as well skip this post.

Today did not start off great. Within 2 minutes of me getting RJ dressed this morning, he peed his pants. I was very unhappy. After changing RJ's clothes, I spoke what has become my mantra--"RJ, you need to pee and poop in the potty. You are a big boy, and that's what big boys do." RJ shed a few tears, he apologized for wetting his pants (I've never asked him to apologize--as frustrated as I get, I don't think that wet pants/underwear need an apology.), and I apologized for getting frustrated.

Abut an hour later, while I'm I the middle of nursing Ryleigh (of course), RJ announces he has started to poop in his pants. I quickly put Ryleigh down, scooped RJ up, and got him on the potty. He actually took care of business. His underwear were barely streaked, so to me it was a successful trip to the potty. Woo hoo! So, I retrieved the wooden car carrier that has been put away for weeks. RJ cheered for himself and enjoyed the car carrier, understanding that the car carrier only gets to be out as long as he continues to poop in the potty.

Another hour later, RJ had another wetting accident. He stopped himself as soon as he realized what was happening, so it wasn't terrible. But, our deal for the car carrier is not for peeing, so the car carrier stayed out for more play.

After a morning nap (still adjusting to Japan Time) and lunch, I ran upstairs to change Ryleigh. When I came back down, I heard RJ close the laundry room door. Weird. I asked what was up. He said that he pooped his pants again, so he put the car carrier in the laundry room for me to put away. I couldn't help but smile. I was bummed about the poop (which was so minor--he had stopped himself), but I was proud that RJ understood the consequences of his accident. It was so cute and so sweet.

The rest of the afternoon was accident-free. Once, when I was holding Ryleigh while she napped, RJ made a trip to the potty by himself. His shorts had fallen completely off while he was on the potty, so he asked for help putting them on. I couldn't really help, but I tried my best to give him direction, such as telling him several times that the drawstring goes in the front or that he couldn't have both legs in one leg hole. RJ finally got his shorts pulled on and said, "See? This Is Right!" Um, okay.

The fly on the backside is just too cute!

Speaking of cute, I didn't have a chance to post some any pics from our time in the backyard the other day. Here's RJ taking an "emergency call" on his tricycle/fire truck/ambulance/police car cell phone.

And RJ and Dad enjoying a little cuddle time in the warm sunlight.

1 comment