Some tales of the adventures and misadventures of Jip, Amy, RJ, and Ryleigh
Monday, October 8, 2012
Toshimaen
On July 4, we had attempted to go to Toshimaen Amusement Park in northwest Tokyo so that we could take pictures of a carousel there as well as enjoy the park. Turns out, the park was closed that day. So, in planning our next trip on an American holiday to Toshimaen, I asked Jip to ask his secretary to look at their website to ensure they'd be open. Hurrah! They were open! And, we had so much fun today!!
The Carousel is called El Dorado. I really don't know why. But, it is pretty neat--three platforms, all spinning at different speeds in a clockwise direction (it was built in Europe).
A little bit of info about the carousel--in English!
Oink, oink!
These were cool "bumper cars." They were corralled in a little area, and you just plopped in a 100 yen coin in the one you wanted to drive for about 2.5 minutes.
Toshimaen is very much geared to the smaller-type kiddos. We fell in love with this vehicle merry-go-round. At first, RJ wanted to ride in the bulldozer, but there wasn't a place for Mom.
So, RJ found a forklift that had a little chair beside it for Mom.
Toshimaen reminded me a lot of Lakeside (for you Colorado peeps). It was very old school. I also loved the food diversity. Dippin Dots and nan in the same food area. More about the girls dressed a little funny in a bit...
Sweet Ryleigh was such a trooper while Dad and RJ waited in line to shoot the water cannon.
This is a new ride at Toshimaen, so it was very popular. The boys waited about 20 minutes in line, but I think they had fun!
Then it was back to the bumper cars, with Dad and RJ on a police motorcycle (and sidecar).
Here's a little video of Jip and RJ riding the fire truck bumper car.
I took Ryleigh on a bumper car, but no bumping for these girls!
Ryleigh could not have been more delighted!
Don't worry--I didn't let RJ actually drive with Ryleigh in the passenger seat. I just wanted a cute picture. Mission accomplished.
"Hey! Wait for me!"
And, back again to the vehicle merry-go-round. We were in the middle of the line, so I was surprised when we got to pick the fire truck. RJ was as pleased as punch.
RJ and Mom heading to an emergency.
Jip's secretary told us that she read on the website that it was costume day. We're not really sure what costume day is, but there were some interesting ones, including these girls and the girls in a the pic a few above this one.
And another costume. Well, we hope it was for costume day.
One of the interesting things about Toshimaen and almost all Japanese amusement parks, public baths, hot springs, etc., is that tattoos are not allowed. It doesn't even matter if they are not permanent, like kiddie-type tattoos. The reason is that tattoos were once associated with the Yakuza, the Japanese mafia, and the public places don't want to have any association with the Yakuza. Tattoos are becoming more mainstream in Japan, but if you have one, you have to cover it up in places like this. Of course, we didn't have to worry about this little rule.
RJ asked several times if we could go back. It was a lot of fun, so hopefully we can make it back there again!
That place looks like so much fun! RJ and Ryleigh might be asking to go back...often =) When I was in Japan I found young girls wearing some fashions very similar to the 1st costume picture you posted *LOL* I had never heard that about tattoos...very interesting!
That place looks like so much fun! RJ and Ryleigh might be asking to go back...often =) When I was in Japan I found young girls wearing some fashions very similar to the 1st costume picture you posted *LOL* I had never heard that about tattoos...very interesting!
ReplyDelete