Birthday Prep

RJ's birthday isn't until Monday, but we want to celebrate tomorrow when Jip is home all day and we aren't going anywhere so that RJ can enjoy his new things all day and get assistance from Mom and Dad (you'll see what I mean tomorrow).  So, tonight is the big prep. 

I am making a fire truck cake that RJ found on YouTube.  I baked three little 8x4 cakes and cut them into various-sized pieces to make a fire truck shape.  Then it came time to whip up the colored frosting.  I ordered gel food coloring from Amazon to ensure I had vibrant colors.  Jip made up the gray.  It's black gel, but the frosting is supposed to be gray. 



I guess it is.  It's pretty purplish, but it was in the video, too, so I guess that's fine.  Then it was time for me to make the red.  I used an entire tub of red gel.  The frosting was still pink.  So, I said, "I'll mix in some burgundy to darken it up."  It turned kinda purple.  Whooooops!!  I decided that the now purplish frosting would have to be a crumb coat only.  Once I made that decision, Jip and I got our mad scientist on and started adding in other colors.  After a little bit of black and a little bit of brown, this is what we ended up with.


So, tomorrow morning, the store opens at 9.  I will be there to get another can of frosting and all of the red food coloring they have (or maybe I'll just buy some red frosting in a tube?).

Jip's prep work went much better than mine.  Jip had to put together a kid's workbench. 



It was pretty straight forward, except we discovered that it was missing a small piece.  Of course, it has been nearly a year since we bought it (it was on clearance last summer) and it is 11:00 pm, so there isn't a whole lot we can do about it.  But, I don't think RJ will care.  It turned out pretty awesome.


I think we're ready for a fun day tomorrow!!



No comments