When will the weekend be the weekend again?

Just a quick rant about my job interrupting the weekend. Including this job as the SRF Repair Officer, I've had three jobs in a row where the weekend is either spent at work or waiting for the phone to ring. Before anyone jumps on the fact that I'm a member of the U.S. military and we operate 24/7, I'm fully aware of what I'm paid to do. That being said, however, I would sure like to have a job sometime where I can go through a Saturday and Sunday without having to be attached to my phone.

Today, due to several things going on at SRF, I was on the phone quite a bit--while at work for the couple hours I was there, while I was driving the van around Yokosuka showing our adopted sponsoree some local sights, while eating dinner, while spending time with the kiddos after dinner, while trying to get RJ to sleep...

I went through my cell phone:
21 incoming calls
26 outgoing calls

And the kicker is, I'll have a bunch more tomorrow because we have some emergent work on a Coast Guard cutter that will require Sunday work.

Okay, I feel better. Thanks for listening. I'm going to enjoy the rest of my weekend and do my best to minimize the impact of any more phone calls or time at work.

Despite my complaining above, I really do like what I do, and my job is pretty darned satisfying. I do, however, look forward to a phone-free weekend at sometime in the future. Of course, that could be after retirement!

I hope you have a great weekend!
-Jip

1 comment

  1. I can't imagine how difficult that would be. Thanks for all you do!

    ReplyDelete