Jip and I have both been feeling a bit homesick lately. I'm not sure what triggered it, but it seems to be just hanging on in the background. But, tonight, we watched the 4th of July celebrations in Boston and DC on TV, and I think it made us extra homesick.
We were trying to tell RJ how Mom and Dad have done the 4th on the banks of the Charles River twice and on the Capitol Steps once. RJ didn't care--I can't say I blame him. We even vowed to take the kids to both celebrations once we get back to the States. RJ still didn't care. But, Jip and I continued to dream of packing fried chicken, lots of water, a sun shelter of some sort, and a lot of patience for an hour or so of fireworks and musical glory. But, we didn't reminisce or dream of the stinky port-a-potties, the overpriced ice cream, the annoying drunk people, or the horrid trip home (or back to the hotel) on the subway once it over. I'm not sure we want to think of the negative aspects of doing those once-in-lifetime experiences (well, more than once for us)--we'd rather wallow a little longer in our homesick-laden daydreams of Independence Days spent with our fellow Americans in America.
I'm sure the homesickness will pass shortly and we'll continue our outs and abouts in Japan to help us make the remaining time here pass quickly. But, now it is time to hit the hay, humming Stars and Stripes Forever until I fall asleep.
Thursday, July 5, 2012
Homesick
loading..
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Just think of the port-a-potties and it'll help it pass quicker ;-)
ReplyDelete