The GW pulled back in last week. The aircraft carrier has a fairly predictable schedule, which is nice for the sailors and their families, so they can plan around the ship's comings and goings. The base, on the other hand, does NOT plan around the GW's comings and goings, and I can't understand why. The base is dramatically different when the ship is in versus out. How can it not be? 3500 additional people on the base when the ship is in is not a small number. But, it doesn't seem to occur to base officials to do road maintenance when the ship is gone and the traffic is lighter. Last year, they actually decided to repave a parking lot for GW sailors the week after the boat pulled in, closing the lot for most of their time home. Yeah. That was smart. The commissary doesn't really adjust either--so for the next six weeks, I'll be crossing my fingers that there is yogurt, oj, and apple sauce each time I go to the store. I am extra vigilant while driving when the GW is in, as it seems there is always a sailor in every crosswalk at every hour of the day. Although I feel bad for the families when the GW and all of the other ships are out, I can't wait until the GW leaves again in a month or so--the base will be much calmer!
And now for a completely different subject...
I was playing a little bit with some fun photo editing software on our iPad. Enjoy my creations for the day!
Tuesday, July 31, 2012
Busy Base and Random Photos
loading..
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

So strange that the base wouldn't adjust for the ship to be in/out. Great pictures =)
ReplyDelete